Boy and Girl
4 1/2 inches by 20 inches for a 10 pound male Bichon
4 1/2 inches by 23 inches for a 15 pound male Bichon
Adjust pattern as needed for the size of your Bichon. Measure around the belly and add 3 inches for the overlap.
1/4 yard Heavy fabric (such as demin) on the outside
1/4 yard Rubberized fabric (you can purchase it by the yard at a fabric store or purchase a rubberized mattress sheet at any department store)
1 package of 1/2 inch wide, folded seam binding tape; choose color to match your fabric
4 1/2 inches of 1 1/2 inches wide Velcro
1. Cut one piece of heavy fabric and one piece of rubberized fabric following diagram for cutting instructions.
2. Cut two straps to hold the pad in place of rubberized fabric 1 inch wide and 4 1/2 inches long.
3. Stitch folded seam binding around the edges. Make sure you place the straps in place on the inside (rubberized material side) before you stitch the folded seam binding tape on.
4. Stitch the Velcro in the appropriate places (see diagram for placement).
5. Place a "Stayfree Serenity" thin pad under the straps in the center. Change this frequently to prevent the white hair from staining.
1/4 yard soft material, such as, flannel, velour, etc.
2/3 yard lace trim 1 inch wide (Optional)
6 inches of 3/4 inch wide Velcro
7 inches of 3/4 inch wide elastic -- cut into 2 pieces of 3 1/2 inches each
1. Make a pattern using the above diagram. Add 1/2 inch seam allowance around outer edges. Cut two pieces with seam allowances added like the diagram. Cut two more pieces of fabric that are 5 inches wide and 7 1/2 inches long (for extra padding).
2. Stitch two rows of lace trim to the outside of the top edge of the panties. Drop down 1 1/2 inches from the top outer edge to place the first row of trim and 1 inch below that for the second row of lace trim.
3. Cut the soft side of the velcro into 2 equal pieces.
4. Leaving the top by the velcro open, stitch the other 3 sides together (right sides together). Make sure you place the extra pieces on top, the two right sides of the panties together with the extra padding placed closest to the piece that will touch the dog's body. Stitch the elastic in the narrow end (see diagram) in between the two right sides together.
5. Turn right side out.
6. Stitch the soft pieces of velcro to each end of the elastic, overlapping 1/2 inch.
7. Stitch lace on top of the soft pieces of velcro.
8. Stitch the opening at the top placing the velcro above the lace trim. Make sure you turn in the 1/2 inch seam allowance. Stitch on all 4 sides of the velcro.
9. Following the diagram using a button hole stitch, stitch around the tail opening. Trim the hole for the tail close to the stitching.
[Home Page][AKC] [AKC Registrations] [AKC Standard]
Visit our Bichon Frise website at http://www.jasme.com
My email address is: Janice Sheehy-Metz Janice@BichonFrise.org
Sunday, January 31, 2010
We welcome your comments and suggestions about this web site. Please email Janice Sheehy-Metz, Webmaster, at Janice@BichonFrise.org.
Page design by Jasme Solutions.
© 1996 - 2010, All Rights Reserved
The Bichon Frise GIF images are the sole property of Janice Sheehy-Metz, Kiyomi Ochiai's estate, or Bert Singer. These GIF images are copyrighted and may NOT be copied from this website without the express written permission of the artist.
You are visitor since 29 March 1998